Sunday, March 27, 2011

Why this blog?

Learning When to Talk

My name is Joanne Hedou. I live in Seattle now, was born in Massachusetts and came to Seattle via Oregon in 1979. I have now spent most of my life in the Pacific Northwest.

Since 1994 I have been writing essays, poetry and screenplays; most of which I have not published or produced or even tried to. Now I want to publish. Why now?

-Mostly because I often find that what people perceive about me is incorrect. I'm fairly introverted and people make assumptions based on my looks, my current employer, or my address.

-I have always been an environmentalist and my activism has been through the practice of living carefully. Interestingly, this has made my efforts invisible. What I do to live is pretty simple but the reasons I do what I do are pretty complicated.

-I want to talk in public and be understood. The best way I can do that is through my writing.

The name of this blog, Learning When to Talk comes from an essay I wrote about talking to my son in the car when he was younger. I realized then that I was always learning. I'm still trying to get better at it.

I hope that what I share will give people hope and encourage them to explore their own inner voices.

Thank you, Joanne Hedou

No comments:

Post a Comment